Associate Corporate Counsel
Job Title: Associate Corporate Counsel
Reports To: Chief Compliance Officer
Department: Compliance & Legal
Type of Position: Full-time
Job Summary: The Associate Corporate Counsel is responsible for proactively and strategically supporting the company and the Chief Compliance Officer with developing and implementing all legal and compliance initiatives for MUSA Companies and subsidiaries. The Associate Corporate Counsel will be an integral member of the Compliance and Legal Team, working closely with company executives, operations managers, compliance analysts and other operational support functions in the company. MUSA Companies includes both the Lease Auto Finance business and the Mortgage Lending business.
- Act as lead counsel/primary legal point of contact on a wide array of legal and compliance matters.
- Provide legal advice regarding auto lending and mortgage lending operations, federal and state industry laws and regulations, and consumer marketing, data sharing, and privacy issues.
- Review and negotiate vendor proposals and contracts.
- Provide input on the decision whether to send matters to outside counsel and assist in the management and oversight of efficient use of outside counsel as necessary.
- Research and analyze law for the preparation of legal documents and/or memoranda and provide legal input on company projects.
- Advise leaders on regulatory and compliance matters affecting the consumer finance industry and work with the business to implement changes responsive to new federal and state legal and regulatory requirements.
- Participate in the development and implementation of MUSA’s policies & procedures and provide counseling on regulatory issues.
- Anticipate and mitigate potential legal problems involving the company.
- Negotiate with customers on contractual issues and legal disputes, including settlement agreements, as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned in connection with legal and compliance support to the business.
Qualifications – Education and Work Experience
- JD, licensed, and in good standing with a state bar in one of the 50 US states and/or the District of Columbia. Bar Admission in the state of Texas or Florida is preferred
- At least two to three years of relevant finance and/or business law experience at a law firm, or corporate in-house legal experience. Mortgage lending and/or auto finance experience is a plus
- Strong academic credentials
- Proficient knowledge using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint)
- In depth knowledge of applicable consumer finance laws and regulations including but not limited to Truth in Lending Act (REG Z and REG M), Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) Right to Financial Privacy Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), US Patriot Act (OFAC), and Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act.
Physical / Special Requirements
- Frequently required to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, bend and reach. Ability to reach with hands and arms.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Problem Solving/Analysis: Breaks down problems into smaller components, understands underlying issues, can simplify and process complex issues, understands the difference between critical details and unimportant facts.
- Productivity: Manages a fair workload, volunteers for additional work, prioritizes tasks, develops good work procedures, manages time well, and handles information flow.
- Negotiation Skills: Conducts positive negotiations, ability to compromise, handles conflict, seeks common ground, articulates own and others goals, stays focused on positive outcome.
- Personal Organization: Keeps information organized and accessible, maintains clean/functional workspace, works systematically/efficiently, and manages time well.
- Communication: Communicates well both verbally and in writing, creates accurate and punctual reports, delivers presentations, shares information and ideas with others, has good listening skills.
- Job Knowledge: Understands duties and responsibilities, has necessary job knowledge, has necessary technical skills, understands company mission/values, keeps job knowledge current, is in command of critical issues.
- Listening Skills: Listens attentively to others, asks clarifying questions, actively listens, stays open to other viewpoints, manages distractions and interruptions.
- Project Management: Establishes project goals, milestones, and procedures, defines roles and responsibilities, acquires project resources, coordinates projects throughout company, monitors project progress, and manages multiple projects.
- Decision Making/Judgment: Recognizes problems and responds, systematically gathers information, sorts through complex issues, seeks input from others, addresses root cause of issues, makes timely decisions, can make difficult decisions, uses consensus when possible, and communicates decisions to others.
- Initiative: Tackles problems and takes independent action, seeks out new responsibilities, acts on opportunities, generates new ideas, practices self-development.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.