Job Title: Accounting Manager
Date: October 2017
Reports To: Assistant Controller
Type of Position: Full-time
Job Summary: Responsible for full cycle accounting procedures including the preparation of monthly financial statements, budget management, financial analysis, payroll, forecasting, accounts payable, and accounts receivable.
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close.
- Ensure the timely reporting of all monthly financial information.
- Assist the Assistant Controller in the daily banking requirements.
- Ensure the accurate and timely processing of positive pay transactions.
- Ensure the monthly and quarterly Bank Compliance activities are performed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Supports budget and forecasting activities.
- Collaborates with the other finance department managers to support overall department goals and objectives.
- Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Advises staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Responds to inquiries from the CFO, Assistant Controller, and other finance and firm wide managers regarding financial results, special reporting requests and the like.
- Work with the Assistant Controller to ensure a clean and timely year end audit.
- Supervise the general ledger group to ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
- Provide training to new and existing staff as needed.
- Handle personnel issues relating to staff conflicts, absenteeism, performance issues, etc.
- Work with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor and advise on the progress to enhance the professional development of staff.
- Support Assistant Controller with special projects and workflow process improvements.
- Active Learning – Understand the implications of new information for both current and future problem solving and decision making
- Analyze – Breakdown a problem to see what is really going on
- Complex Problem Solving – Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
- Flexible – Can carry out many different responsibilities, sometimes with very little notice
- Handle Complaints – Deal effectively with complaints made by customers or constructive criticism from your supervisor/manager, company
- Interpreting – Look at things and make sense of them, figure out what makes things work, why there is a problem, etc.
- Resourceful – Think of new, creative and different ways to do things when there are not obvious solutions available
- Speaking and Listening – Talk to others to convey information effectively, give full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions, as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times
- Supervise – The ability to watch others to ensure that everything is okay and/or that they are doing their jobs well
- Time Management – Plan your time so that you don’t forget to do things, you’re almost always/always on time and you know how to prioritize and give yourself enough time to do the things you need to do
- Administration and Management – Knowledge of business and management principles in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership, technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources
- Computers – Knowledge of computer software, including such applications as Microsoft Office and QuickBooks
- Forward Thinking – The ability to anticipate the implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies
- Fostering Teamwork – The ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team; the ability to demonstrate interest, skill, and success in getting groups to learn to work together
- Initiative – Identifying what needs to be done and doing it before being asked or before the situation requires it
- Managing Performance – The ability to take responsibility for one’s own or one’s employees’ performance, by setting clear goals and expectations, tracking progress against the goals, ensuring feedback, and addressing performance problems and issues promptly
- Oral and Written Communication – The ability to express oneself clearly in conversation and interactions with others and express oneself clearly in business writing
- Technical Expertise – Has the knowledge and skills to perform a particular task.
- Analytical – The ability to breakdown a problem to see what is really going on
- Deductive Reasoning – The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense
- English Language – Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar
- Goal Setting – The ability to set goals for yourself/others to achieve and plan ways to achieve them
- Inductive Reasoning – The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (including finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events)
- Oral Comprehension and Expression – The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences and the ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand
- Written Comprehension and Expression – The ability to come up with unusual or clever ideas about a given situation, read and understand information and ideas presented in writing, and develop creative ways to solve a problem
Experience and Education:
- BA/BS in Business with an emphasis in Accounting, CPA (preferred)
- Three to five years prior supervisory experience in the financial reporting/general ledger area
- Experience working in a professional services firm is preferred
- Must be PC proficient and able to thrive in a fast -pace setting
- Deep experience with QuickBooks, or other large automated accounting systems a plus
- Must have strong experience with Microsoft Excel and Word
- Ten-key by touch required
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal, supervisory and customer service skills required
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.